Sunday, March 16, 2014

Hydraulic Forging Press Web Cutout



I recently made a modification to my hydraulic forging press.  I cut out some of the web to increase the working area.  I have been working on some left pattern bowls in 7 gauge and needed about 14” of width and also some height to accommodate the volume.

The hardest part of the process was getting out the two bolts holding the top fixed die.  As it turned out the holes had been drill a few thousandths of an inch off center and the years of work had puts the bolt shaft out of alignment.  I drilled the holes again and replaced the grade 2 bolts with grade 8 ones.

I used 5” zip cutoff blade on an angle grinder to cutout the part of the web required.  Probably I should have thought of this when I did the original design but I didn’t really plan to us it in this way.  I’m still in the process of getting a larger hydraulic bender built to use for bigger bending projects.


While making the cutout modification drawings I also drew the bottom ram die guide assembly too.

The planed modification of the web.

The actual cutout space.

Out-of-alignment damage to the shaft.
The ram guide with 1/4" brass shim plates.  Small tabs are welded at top and bottom as keepers to hold the shims in place.
Ram guide exploded.

No comments:

Post a Comment