Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Roy Underhill


About the time I was making the transition from woodworking to blacksmithing, Roy Underhill was hosting a popular PBS show, The Woodwright’s Shop, featuring traditional woodworking techniques and occasionally peeks into other crafts.  Roy had been a master craftsman at Colonial Williamsburg.

I throughly enjoyed the episodes and eventually got four of his books.  I recently came across his current website and was glad to see he is still going strong.  I was even more pleased to see their courses include two taught by Peter Ross, who also served as a blacksmithing master at the Anderson Forge in Colonial Williamsburg.

On June 29, 2011 I wrote about his nail making dmonstration at the Saltfork Craftsmen Conference in Guthrie, Oklahoma in 1999.  It has been my pleasure to see him work several times since then.


Additional links for the interested:





Peter Ross at the anvil.

Calipers by Peter Ross.

No comments:

Post a Comment