Saturday, December 7, 2013

Missing the Blacksmith’s Journal


When I was looking for drawings of post vises I found the version published by Jerry Hoffman in The Blacksmith’s Journal.  It was in September 1999, issue 109 on pages 1339-1345.  It is a modern shop-built quick action version. Jerry shows two types.  One uses a simple mechanical locking mechanism and the other uses an air-hydraulic mechanism.  The basic layout is the same as the traditional post vise without the screw.

The last issue of the Blacksmith's Journal was published in April 2010.  I really miss it.  Fortunately, I have all the published issues.  It was always exciting to open the packet each month and see what Jerry had been doing.  A lot of projects didn’t directly relate to things I was doing or ever planed to do but they were always interesting.  His graphic illustration was top notch - artful.  

I expect economics play a big role in ending the publication. Back issues can still be ordered.

These are two more links to Jerry’s work.



Jerry Hoffman at ABANA, Flagstaff, AZ.

Hoffman Millineum Gate Project

No comments:

Post a Comment