Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Storage Jars




To a certain extent I've learned to buy food to get the container. Fortunately I like peanut butter as it comes in my favorite storage jar.

The transparent jar is probably made from polyethylene terephthalate, PET, a thermoplastic polymer resin of the polyester family. The cap is made from polypropylene. It is possible to order them empty in bulk lots if one desired to acquire a lot at once. My collection has grown at a steady, slow, natural, P&J sandwich eating pace for several years.

Standard operating procedure for use in the studio involves drilling two, 1/4" holes approximately 1/2" both sides of the lid center, passing a cable tie through, and hanging it up for later use. When the need arrises I add the contents and label with a correction pen. If the jars use changes later the labeling can easily be removed with lacquer thinner.

Jars which contain something I seldom need are hung on the loft ceiling. I snapped a chalk line grid on the osb board and labeled each intersection with an alphanumeric designation and placed screw hooks at those points. I use a correction pen marker to label the lid of each jar with the corresponding hook number so it is easy to return it to it's proper home, For instance, when I'm looking for the micrometer, I can check the inventory on the computer and find that it is hanging at hook A11.

If the jar contains something which is prone to damage by excess humidity I put a Tyvek Dessicant packet inside too.

My parents behavior was deeply affected by the hard times associated with the Great Railroad Strike of the 1920's and the Great Depression of the 1930's. We saved, jars, cans, string, wire, paper bags and other things. I straightened nails bent when something was demolished. Home made was the best in almost every case. It's in my nature to look for things to save put to good use and it predated the reduce, reuse, recycle axioms of the environmental movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment