Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Power Hammer Die Saddles


On April 16, 2012 I described how I discovered that I didn’t really need the inner walls of the die tang sockets.
Recently I have made another modification to the die system by adding a saddle similar to the ones I use on the hydraulic forging press.  The saddle can either fit over a piece of flat bar with two tangs or two pieces with tangs can be welded to each side of the saddle.  I haven’t decided if there is an advantage to one way or the other.
I’ve been very satisfied with the keyed drop sleeves as a mechanism for retaining the dies.  They allow a degree of freedom which reduces overall mechanical strain in the system while, especially with the saddles, holding the dies in place and they accommodate quick die changes.
The four camera images show how the system worked before I added the saddles.







No comments:

Post a Comment