When we moved to our home in 1981 I built a wood mailbox from left over siding material, covered the top with shingle scraps and mounted it on a piece of scrap I beam set in concrete. It worked well until this spring when the hinges came loose because of wood rot. I first attempted a repair but the deterioration was too extensive so I bit the bullet and took time out to make a new steel one.
After looking through the available material I selected a deeply pitted steel plate for the top and some rusty 14 gauge sheet and water jet slat scrap for the box. The only salvageable parts were the brass numerals.
I forged a door handle and used torch heat to bend the box and roof folds to form a form which looks a little like a covered bridge. As a child I often went with my parents to our local covered bridge. My artist mother painted a picture of it covered with snow sometime in the 1960’s.
The door is hinged more securely now with a welded piece of continuous hinge and the top latches securely with a small rare earth magnet. It is pretty close to water tight so it won’t be a likely habitat for wasps or ants. If it lasts as long as the last one that should do the trick.