Monday, April 21, 2014

Bending/Twisting Tools

Proper naming of tools avoids confusion but there may not be universal agreement on what is the proper name.  Or, sometimes, I carelessly use the wrong name.  A common example is saying bending fork when I actually mean a bending wrench.

Usually, when I say “bending fork” I am imagining a U-shaped tool which fits in the vise or hardy hole.  Often I also call a bar with a U on the end a bending fork.  Is that right?  Or, is it a bending wrench or scrolling wrench?

I think of a twisting wrench as a bar-type tool with a U or multiple U slots near the middle.  It might actually be an adjustable wrench with a second handle welded on the side opposite the original handle and aligned with it.

One such device is the Simonian Twisting Wrench.  I got one years ago and forged out the handles for greater mechanical leverage.  The wrench comes with four different size slots 1/4″, 3/8″, 1/2″, and 5/8″.

A similar tool is shown being made here - the double ended bending wrench by purgatory ironworks.

This is an elegant forging demonstration by Mark Aspery.  The ABANA National Curriculum Scrolling Wrench

Other nice examples:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't often check for blog comments, so the best way to contact me is directly: at or