Monday, February 27, 2012

Big Knockers





Last summer I was contacted by a client interested in getting a large cow head door knocker. It sounded like an interesting project so I took it on with the understanding it would be some time before I could actually complete the piece. As usual it was longer than I anticipated before I actually started construction although the several months of contemplation had given me some things to explore.


Eventually we worked toward the final plan reviewing details from time to time and keeping track of the running cost estimate. Eventually a wheat motif was added. All along I understood that this was to be a big door knocker but the ending “big” was a lot bigger than my beginning idea of “big”.


I had never made a door knocker on this scale so I created a prototype in which I worked out the mechanics and other details so I ended up with a pair with the clients having better finish work. I met the deadline, got paid, learned a bit more about hollow form sculpture and the physics involved in creating an authoritative knock. All in all it was a satisfying creative experience. Moreover I mounted the prototype on the studio west door.


http://www.persimmonforge.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment