Thursday, January 23, 2014

Die Retainer Pin Modification


The quick change die holder system on my power hammers has worked very well for years.  After I got the rhythm of using them worked out I rarely dropped a keeper during a die exchange.  However, there was one with one problem.  The drop pin which locks the key in place is tethered to the key and the tethers have a tendency to break.


The first tethers were long leather strips. However if a hot work piece contacted the leather it would burn through it.  Later I tried a heavy nylon cord and that worked even less well for the same reason.  The current tethers are steel chain.  They have worked so well I think they may be the end of the story.

Keeper Key and pin in locking position.


Keeper key and pin in storage position.

No comments:

Post a Comment