Thursday, August 30, 2012

Added Value in Drops




I used to think of drops as waste, a nuisance. But after I found a way to sort and store them for my advantage my opinion of their value changed.

Now I think of them as precut parts.   I have a few bench top boxes which store flat and square bar, round bar, pipe and tube, and angle and channel drops from very short up to about 12” in length.  It is interesting to me how stable that inventory seems to remain.  Drops are added and removed at approximated a balanced rate.

Mostly these pieces are used to make jigs and other shop aids where exact dimension isn’t always critical.  More often than not I can got to a box and quickly sort through and find a suitable piece ready to use, already cut and tumbled clean of burs, scale and rust.

No comments:

Post a Comment