Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sharing with 3D Warehouse


Yesterday I decided to figure out how to share files on the Trimble 3D Warehouse (powered by Google). http://www.sketchup.com/product/3dwh.html

I have frequently searched their archive for models to help me illustrate ideas so I wanted to try and give some pay back by posting a few visualizations I’ve worked out.  I added two versions of my treadle torch and one file of my platen table. 


I think I followed the instructions carefully but I’m not sure that one of the items is correct -  “In SketchUp, hide your lines and profiles for a cleaner screenshot. View -> Edge Style -> uncheck Display edges and Profiles.”

When I downloaded my files to see how they worked I had to check the Edges and Profiles again to make them look the way I like but I’ve noticed when I’ve down loaded other files they usually arrive with Edges and Profiles already checked.

Experience is a good teacher so I’ll keep experimenting and anticipate that I’ll soon understand the process better.  It took me a couple of years of use to become really fluent with SketchUp but it has been well worth it for me.  Using the axiom that “a picture is worth a thousand words”, has paid off when illustrating ideas for clients and with other types of design work.

For those who are not familiar with SketchUp is may seem a bit intimidating at first.  One way to get started is to visit the 3D Warehouse and do a search for “forged” and study the results.  After a while they will get the hang of modifying the searches to more specifically find illustrations.  This is an example of a nice swage block.





No comments:

Post a Comment