Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Little Giant Platform



I recently advertised my Little Giant in the BAM newsletter.


For sale: 50- LB Little Giant Power Hammer Number K-7062. I added a fused Square D disconnect switch, new power cord and plug, a pitman wrench, wood base, belt guard, oil reservoir caps, a step to aid top oiling, a dual tang die carriage, flywheel brake and swing-away spring guard. I oiled it daily with Stihl chainsaw bar oil. Also have spare parts worth several hundred dollars. $3500. Contact Persimmon Forge, David or Betty Edwards, 3008 Hacienda Ct., Emporia, Kansas 66801, (620) 343-1947, djedwards@cableone.net.


Soon an email arrived inquiring about how the wood base was constructed and I offered the following information in reply.


“When I brought home my first power hammer (the advertised one) I didn’t know much more than I needed one to make money because I wasn’t going to be able to crank out enough work with a three pound hammer on a Peter Wright anvil. I signed up for Harlan "Sid" Suedmeier’s Little Giant rebuilding course in Nebraska City and learned a lot (all about the 25 pound type).


I can’t recall who gave me the advice about how to mount my hammer so I can’t credit them. I had read about needing a foot or two of concrete footing under the hammer and was prepared to do that if I had to do it but I decided to try the recommended “poor man’s compromise.” I had access to some 3/4” plywood and cut three pieces and slabbed them together with glue and bolted them to my 6” thick shop floor with four corner anchor bolts.


I used the hammer about two hours a day for perhaps 10 years and the floor never cracked. Currently, neither of my power hammers have any wood cushioning so I’m running a greater risk now.


Since the wood underlayment raised the treadle over 2 inches, I had to make a couple of toe brackets to attach to the treadle so I didn’t have to lift my toe so high.


I’m glad I didn’t bust up my floor and put in that massive footing and just used the plywood instead.”


Ultimately, each user must decide for themselves how to deal with the mounting. I’m sure the wood cushioning robbed my hammer of some of it’s potential striking power but on the other hand it worked well for me and the floor never cracked.


http://www.persimmonforge.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment